[Bf-committers] Submitted patch to add cap ends setting for cylinders

Howard Brooks hbroo2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:40:30 CEST 2009

Hopefully I can clarify.  Presently the code (editmesh_add.c) defines two
separate actions "Add Cylinder" and "Add Tube".   Both are accessible
through the space bar on main 3d view, but only "Add Cylinder" is available
from the Add/Mesh menu, where it is labeled "Tube" :)
Add Cylinder adds a flat ended cylinder, but has a setting to cap the ends
or not; when the ends are uncapped it is identical to a tube.  This is what
you get when you choose Add/Mesh/Tube from the menu.

Add Tube adds a hollow cylinder, and presently has no setting to cap the
ends.  This is only accessible by searching for the action, and through the
API I suppose.

I can see William's argument for not adding both Cylinder and Tube to the
Add/Mesh menu, but maybe the Add/Mesh menu entry ought to be renamed from
Tube to Cylinder or else the default should change form capped to uncapped.
 Should the "Add Tube" code be removed as redundant, or is this important
for the API?  If it stays should it also have a setting to cap or uncap the
ends?  In that case Add Cylinder and Add Tube would be identical except for
the default state of the end caps.

Howard