[Bf-committers] Planning update

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 14:32:00 CEST 2009

Last meeting I agreed to evaluate targets for beta0,
only managed to get round to it this today and think there is some
disconnect between the current beta0 targets and whats needed for
getting approx. 2.4x feature parity.

Only the user-interface section of beta0 was filled in which I find
odd. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Todo/UserInterface

While I agree these things are nice to have Id remove most as beta zero targets.
Its also not clear to me if the people who wrote these targets are
developers who can complete them, or if anyone has the time to work on
them.

In the studio we are getting many bug reports as well as simple
requests for operators to be added back or in some cases just
connected to menu items and keys.
While there is some conflict here with Durian vs 2.5-Beta0 goals I'm
much more interested in having artists able to use blender-2.5-beta0
where 2.4x was capable, then delaying their bug reports to do
non-essential UI development.

Proposal for 2.5-beta0.

** Reduce UI Beta0 targets to tasks that block blender from being
properly tested...
- Should include for eg: Ctrl+Click issue has to be resolved (maybe
theeths recent commit is acceptable, just using this as an example)
- Example of what NOT to include: "List Template popup for quick
overview/search of many items.", nice to have but wont block people
from testing.
- Emulate middle mouse would be nice but IMHO can release Beta0 without it.

** Focus on getting operators back, added into menu's, keybindings
from 2.4x back and generally making 2.5x usable.
...This was added in the UI beta0 targets but needs expanding to
better measure progress.

** Add blocking bugs to beta0 todo, assigned devs should be ok to fix
for beta0 release date.

Made a start on this but still need to add more items...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/Todo/Modules#Beta0_Todo.27s

Otherwise we will just add more items to the list and just push back
beta0 release target some weeks/months.
I'd rather we release predictable testing builds and give ourselves
realistic targets.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Shaul Kedem <shaul.kedem at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1, just make the "test" logo big on the splash, and the splash should have
> a button to make it go away (not the loose focus as it is today)
>
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First: I'm not attending tomorrow's meeting (can't skip mom's
>> birthday!). Brecht is also away for a day. So... I propose to talk
>> about this topic here for now.
>>
>> Six weeks ago I've posted this;
>> http://www.blender.org/bf/2009-planning.png
>>
>>  From my perspective, we're still progressing OK. We might be one or two
>> weeks later than scheduled. But the best thing is that we're seeing
>> great progress going on here in the studio, with almost all key
>> animation film production aspects being used. For that reason I propose
>> to go full steam ahead on getting our first beta-0 release (or "test
>> build", whatever you like to call it) out!
>>
>> For this first beta-0 build we will communicate to everyone that it is
>> meant to test proper functioning of the ported code; things that worked
>> in 2.4x are supposed to work in the 2.5 build as well, with a clear
>> (and acceptable) list of exceptions.
>>
>> Because of the Blender Conference next week, I propose to make the
>> first sunday after (Nov 1) the go/nogo meeting for this. In the
>> upcoming two weeks we then can work on the release targets and
>> exception list. If things go as expected, we than can post the build in
>> the first week of november.
>>
>> We also should keep communicating well that the second beta will be
>> targeted at having the minimal specs finished we consider a good wrap
>> up of the event-tool refactor project, ready for documentation work.
>> That one is expected to arrive around the christmas period still.
>>
>> Further:
>> - The 2.49b version can be still presented on our d/l page as
>> current-stable release
>> - The 2.5 beta0 splash can have a short note about the testing status
>> of that build
>> - Release log of 2.5 beta0 will be clean and clear too, and we'll
>> communicate well that we're humbly working hard on everything still.
>>
>> Feedback welcome,
>>
>> -Ton-

- Campbell