[Bf-committers] Planning update

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Oct 17 16:25:05 CEST 2009

Hi all,

First: I'm not attending tomorrow's meeting (can't skip mom's
birthday!). Brecht is also away for a day. So... I propose to talk
about this topic here for now.

Six weeks ago I've posted this;
http://www.blender.org/bf/2009-planning.png

 From my perspective, we're still progressing OK. We might be one or two
weeks later than scheduled. But the best thing is that we're seeing
great progress going on here in the studio, with almost all key
animation film production aspects being used. For that reason I propose
to go full steam ahead on getting our first beta-0 release (or "test
build", whatever you like to call it) out!

For this first beta-0 build we will communicate to everyone that it is
meant to test proper functioning of the ported code; things that worked
in 2.4x are supposed to work in the 2.5 build as well, with a clear
(and acceptable) list of exceptions.

Because of the Blender Conference next week, I propose to make the
first sunday after (Nov 1) the go/nogo meeting for this. In the
upcoming two weeks we then can work on the release targets and
exception list. If things go as expected, we than can post the build in
the first week of november.

We also should keep communicating well that the second beta will be
targeted at having the minimal specs finished we consider a good wrap
up of the event-tool refactor project, ready for documentation work.
That one is expected to arrive around the christmas period still.

Further:
- The 2.49b version can be still presented on our d/l page as
current-stable release
- The 2.5 beta0 splash can have a short note about the testing status
of that build
- Release log of 2.5 beta0 will be clean and clear too, and we'll
communicate well that we're humbly working hard on everything still.

Feedback welcome,

-Ton-