[Bf-committers] Fwd: material presets

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 22:23:08 CEST 2009

I'd like to propose that we add a new materials test scene, for the
materials previewer.  That can visually explain a number of material
properties 'at a glance'.

Many of you have probably seen Thomas Anagnostou 'SIM-Ball' used in Maxwell.

http://rl-team.net/uploads/posts/2008-08/1218398387_simball.jpg

Or the numerous imitations, including one with the Blender logo,

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127215

There is a test object that was created for modo users that has a
number of useful innovations as well as additional useful suggestions
furhter down the thread

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=11111

which the author has given permission for us to use.  Unfortunately as
was pointed out to me by Brecht our material previewer has a
'widescreen' aspect ratio and this test object is much taller than it
is wide.

Another very clever test object that has a number of varied
thicknesses (although more applicable to ray tracers)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/204/sssv9av9.jpg

I'd like to propose that we have a user contest to create an improved
test object to be included in Blender 2.50 material previewer.

Thoughts?

Here are additional material preview objects with similar ideas to
sim-ball used by different 3D rendering communities

http://www.yafaray.org/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1435&start=30
https://forum.solidworks.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-112025-1516/Asset+Appearances.jpg
http://www.foro3d.com/tutoriales/Rhinoceros/Material-vray-para-RhinoE/Material-vray-para-RhinoMaterial_Vray_for_Rhino_3.jpg
http://forum.german-mentalray-wiki.info/userpix/5_exposure_max_vs_mr_2.jpg