[Bf-committers] First pure Cocoa version ! [Fwd: Re: Finally did it]

johnmadstone at yahoo.it johnmadstone at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 7 18:18:11 CEST 2009

Hi Campbell,

you misunderstood.

At the beginning of my email to the mailing list, I wrote:

"First of all, I have to say that, even if it is clear that I do not
like GHOST, the point of the discussion is not if GHOST is good or bad."

Then, Campbell, the "Extreme Changes" that I mentioned to Damien are
only my personal changes, since I already know that Blender Team does
not like the idea to intervene in the GHOST/WM code.
And I perfectly understand the wish to keep Blender portability as
easier as possible to maintain and debug.

Therefore you should not take my email as a critique to Blender Team
work or decisions. It is matter for another discussion, after all.

> Hey Marco, from an outsider (as far as Mac's go), your email leaves me
> thinking...
> - Where is your plan (URL?)

There is no URL. Though, I was studying GHOST to find the best way to
implement Cocoa part.
In his email Damien told me that our emails have been a great foundation
for the implementation he is doing. But I did not quote Damien's email,
since it was a private discussion.
Though, in our email exchange, I provided to Damien (and also other
contacts interested in the project) UML diagrams of GHOST. I spent some
time to create them and make them visually easy to understand. And they
are (in my idea) a first step for planning.

> - Can you give some idea at what your 'Extreme Changes' are?
> - Is the current development so different from what you plan that it
> becomes horrible to refactor later?

To answer the last question, I have to repeat that my complain was not
about GHOST it self.
My complain is about 2 other things:

First, it seems that Damien is in a hurry to finish the port. Ok! Great!
But I cannot help him/you this way.

I spent some days to understand GHOST, prepare the diagrams (as a
reference documentation for me and the others) and, finally, I started
to code GHOST_WindowCocoa.

After that, I have been busy for 2-3 days (life/job). And Damien did
everything without me.

Great. He is probably a good developer. But I got a total of 30 hours of
work on GHOST for nothing.

The second reason for complain, is documentation.
If a developer writes no clear documentation about his code, it will be
hard for other developers to keep in sync with his progress. Especially
if the others have not much free time to spend on it.

Damien (in this case, Damien, but I had similar experiences many times)
could have worked to make documentation for his code, while he was
waiting for me to finish GHOST_WindowCocoa.

Marco Frisan, Triest