[Bf-committers] including default meshes and materials in 2.50

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 21:05:34 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to propose for 2.50 that we include a default material
library and default meshes.

I'd recommend for the default meshes that we include two styles; those
with quad topology of uniform quad sizes for sculpting (ie such as
those included in Mudbox) and meshes that are modelled with good joint
deformation topology and that are prerigged.  Each of the meshes
should have a default UV layout, but without any textures or materials
(if there is interest they could be provided as seperate downloads).
The heads should have default morph target sets - probably
corresponding with those suggested in stop staring.  It might also be
worthwhile to have a default set of extreme poses so if mesh changes
are made, checking the new skin weights can be checked easily.

I would recommend we have the following meshes

a generic bust for sculpting
full humanoid generic body for sculpting
full quadruped generic body for sculpting
generic vehicle for sculpting (this is assuming we add some 'hard edge
sculpting' features for the sculpt tools, which I'm fairly sure we
will with the sculpting update)

For rigged meshes

a female bust with good deformation topology
a full human male with good deformation topology
a horse rig with good deformation topology
a dog/wolf rig with good deformation topology

For a material library I'd propose we have two versions of each
material - one for a fast material shader that can be used for
animation; and one that is a more complex shader that gives higher
quality results, and have a naming scheme to append a _fast and
_quality (or alternatively _f and _q).  I'd suggest only procedural
materials and textures be included in the default library in order to
keep download size small.

For organization I propose the following categories

Fabrics
Glass
Metal
Plastic/Rubber
Paint
Ceramic/Tile
Wood
Brick/Stone
Crystal
Greenery
Liquids
Terrain

Patterns

Atmospheric
Energetic

Floors
Walls

Character
Creature
Food

Ton and Brecht and the Durian team, during 2.47 we were looking at
adding the tiling and pattern patch

https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6842&group_id=9&atid=127

Ton reviewed it and apparently it still had a few problems -
particularly it doesn't do antialiasing.  My question is, will
patterns in clothing, metal, fabric, etc be used enough in Durian that
it might be worth doing the remaining bits of it - from the tracker
the author didn't do the AA because he doesn't know how.

LetterRip