[Bf-committers] Weekly irc meeting, october 4 2009

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Oct 5 07:59:12 CEST 2009

Matt Ebb kirjoitti:
>> - Dalai prefers to see more advanced support being added for python
>> script dependencies, like executing a script on changing a variable in
>> the UI. Issue is that this requires an updated dependency graph
>>
> Couldn't this be done with notifiers  and python listeners? Would be
> extremely useful for a lot of other situations too.

Yes I figure many kinds of editing tools or something just working
inside Blender would easily benefit from these, like perhaps procedural
tools that want to know that their base has been edited.

I'd need this for (testing) networked editing (more). Did a simple thing
in July, where sync the position of a single object two-ways, both from
and to Blender - Server. That's done in 2.49 so that a scriptlink simply
compares the current state of the object with previous info to see
whether it has changed -- obviously that would not scale nicely to a
scene with 10,000 objects and 50 properties each, all checked on every
scene update. In that particular experiment used the LibOMV
implementation of the Second Life (tm) protocol to talk with an OpenSim
server, info and screenshot and the blend are at
http://playsign.fi/engine/BlenderOMV . Verse would be similar I think.

Was and am hoping that 2.5 will give something nice for this, like e.g.
a notification with the id of the object that has changed, perhaps
identifying the specific data that was changed too.

> Matt

~Toni