[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: > /data/svn/bf-blender [24964] trunk/blender/source/blender/ > editors/object/object_transform.c: Rename 'Object Center' to > 'Centroid'.

Samuel Nicholas nicholas.samuel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 02:03:57 CET 2009

Your words show that pivot can change, whether its parenting to another
object for animation, or choosing the cursor in edit mode, or median point
in edit mode. the pivot changes.

The origin does not change, that little pink/orange dot will always be the
origin, whether you are currently using it as the pivot point or not, no
matter what you are doing.

That sort of consistency makes learning that much easier. fits with the
mathematical concepts of origin, which afaik most people are taught in
school

just for fun: My own personal rules for how I feel about naming are:
These are long term values

1. My opinion/preference has no technical or academic value
2. Just because the other applications names it something doesn't mean its
the best name for it, blender can be better, easier to learn than them.*
3. What is the most consistent and accurate technical/mathematical word to
use
4. check my facts with wikipedia/wolfram

* if people only live in a world of other applications then copying others
makes sense because people will understand your language. But .. we live in
a world with many disciplines many experiences, so matching what the world
accepts as the correct language will be more powerful more concise, lower
the barrier of entry to a larger audience.