[Bf-committers] Display external data inside Blender

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Wed Nov 25 16:20:51 CET 2009

Hi All,

I am integrating an external tool (blender-aid) to the blender UI. I
came across some implementation issues for this that I want to discuss.
I think this is the area of matt_e.

What do I need?
 * A way to display external data within blenderUI and without
rebuilding blender
 * the external data is retrieved from a service calls and be available
someway with RNA. The external data is refreshed by a long timer (±15
minutes).

see http://www.pasteall.org/pic/310

What have I done?
 * blender aid supports services what can be called from a python within
blender.
 * I have created an operator to be added in the info-space. I know that
operators are not used for this.

see http://www.pasteall.org/9413/python

Problems I came across: (cannot call them problems as blender is
designed this way)
 * the operator is created once. or when f8 is pressed (reload scripts)
Only during the operator I'm able to update the value. afterwards the
value is read-only (by design). updates once every 15 minutes or so in
not possible at the moment.

One work around is to update the internal structure to store the
received value in blenders data-model. but doing this I should rebuild
blender.

Another one is to implement the elapse timer inside the info_space draw
function. This is also bad design.

I think it is useful to support external data outside the blenders data
model or have a place available to do the job. What do you think of it?

Greetings