[Bf-committers] GPU computing

Erwin Coumans erwin.coumans at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:42:31 CET 2009

One more recommendation to go for OpenCL.

We are working on accelerating pur Bullet physics sdk using OpenCL,
and I recommend it for cross platform/vendor support. Our work is
still early stages, but we try to make sure it works on all
implementations.
Eventually this work should go into Blender too.

Although OpenCL supports task parallelism, it works best when dealing
with fine grain data parallelism: 1000 to 10000 small kernels
processing similar work. Some GPU ray tracer for Blender would be
cool, perhaps to create soft shadows.

How about accelerating screen space post processing?

Good luck with the effort!
Erwin

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:19, Charles Wardlaw <cwardlaw at marchentertainment.com