[Bf-committers] keymaps selection button

Willian Padovani Germano wpgermano at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 18:12:38 CET 2009

Hi,

Maybe it's late for 2.5 beta 0, but here's my suggestion to substitute
the current keymaps selection button in the Input tab of the User
Preferences window:

a pic: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=253
the code: http://www.pasteall.org/9333

I basically copied code from other parts to make a template that follows
the "Add Tool" button in the tool shelf, which is clearly a search
button and shows all options when first clicked.

The code needs to be reviewed by someone (kaito, brecht, ideasman42?)
who knows RNA, ui code, etc., I'm just beginning to study these things
in 2.5 and there's a lot to learn. For example, I don't know if I had to
use RNA functions there or make something more general, etc. The code I
copied also added an event in a way it probably shouldn't (XXX).

BG info:

As I mentioned last week during the meeting, I was fooled by the current
keymaps selection button. I thought "Window" was the only keymap
available there.

It doesn't look like a search button and when clicked it shows a blank
search menu because it only shows entries related to the current choice,
which by default is "Window". To see the rest you need to erase that
word first.

Of course I understand that this is ongoing work, but I believe custom
keymaps is regarded by many users as the most wanted feature of 2.5, so
it's important to make it user friendly for a release.

--
Willian
http://encanners.net