[Bf-committers] meetings for new developers

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:23:33 CET 2009

Hi lorenzo,
re: all the cool things developers could do to make it easier for new devs.
eg - more dev review, dev screencasts, streaming video, etc...

I get the impression people suggesting this are not going to be the
ones doing it.

if people want to do more on this of course its great, or if there is
some funding for more developer support it can probably work out but
there is a limit to how much developers will do when they are
volunteers.
Not saying every good idea suggested is unreasonable, agree with
lorenzo on this - we need to improve on patch review, but their are
limits to what we can expect devs to do.

Id not replace the normal meeting with this, meetings can be kept
short and its nice to be able to suggest someone can raise a topic
next Sunday without checking the calendar.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM, lorenzo pierfederici
<lpierfederici at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Campbell, thanks for bringing up the idea, meetings for new developers
> would be great!
>
> As I said at the conference I think it would be useful to have some core
> developers sparing some time for reviewing the code that those new
> developers will produce as soon as possible, that would make the learning
> curve much easier and would be very motivating. I don't think we have to
> structure this reviewing too much straight away, just need to keep an eye on
> patches and mails from people attending the new devs meetings... and if this
> grows we will think how to structure the reviewing.
>
> About the time, I think it could replace the regular developer meeting once
> a month. That way we would definitely have more developers at the new devs
> meetings and the meetings could be a bit longer (an hour it's a bit tight).
> Skipping the regular meetings once a month shouldn't be too much of a
> problem if it's scheduled, and if there is something urgent it could be
> discussed shortly before or after the new devs!

- Campbell