[Bf-committers] Actuall usability of some tools and new features

Jon Sandström sjon at student.chalmers.se
Thu Nov 19 23:52:45 CET 2009

Brecht Van Lommel skrev:

> I think this is where we disagree

then i will not push this much further, i've made my point and i hope it
has been taken, which i appreciate.
i must only once more say that the  proposed workflow co-exists with
current, it does not replace it. how you use it is up to you. want to
change the display settings of particles? do so, then the panel will
minimize automatically, returning the interface to its default state,
showing only velocity physics etc. Thank you for your opinions

while we are talking usability i would give another suggestion to the
developers though.
currently i can see three big problems with the blender UI. the first
has been discussed. the second is the very young toolbar. and the third
is the not so young modifier stack. i will not adress the toolbar at
this point as i have not given it much thought yet, however i have some
ideas

the modifier stack problem:
the problem is quite big, and we can already see the effects in the
current interface. since the stack displays all modifiers at the same
time. it is difficult to handle many modifiers, but the main problem is
that it is limiting the complexity of a modifier. Particles softbodies
fluid, etc. all are modifiers, but at the same time they are not as they
have their own tab. this system is hardly expandible. it limits future
creation of advanced  modifiers and "plugin" modifier python scripts. in
my opinion this is a very serious problem.

suggestion:
display the stack as a list (similar to materials list, and particle
system list). when the user clicks on a modifier, the settings for only
that modifier will be displayed. if the user selects multiple modifiers
- display the settings for those. this would allow modifiers with
multiple panels. The user wants to select all modifiers - press A in the
list to select all

downside?
does not display all settings of the modifiers when the modifier tab is
selected. - if this is desired, then make it display all by default.

Again, the problem is more important than the suggestion

thank you for your time
Jon