[Bf-committers] Actuall usability of some tools and new features

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Thu Nov 19 22:37:40 CET 2009

Hi Jon,

2009/11/19 Jon Sandström <sjon at student.chalmers.se>:
> -I do not add another level of navigation, i only want to enhance the
> current, and it is not true you do not have to navigate the panels as
> you always have to navigate and scan the interface with your eyes. This
> is easier when less content is displayed. And to say that the panels do
> not have to be navigated is only to close your eyes to the problem.

I think this is where we disagree, in my experience after a while it
becomes possible to find the button directly without having to scan
the interface top to bottom, in a fraction of a second you can
recognize it and go directly to the right place. Even if the button
isn't immediately visible you can scroll quickly with the wheel or
middle mouse button because you remembered where it was, which is an
action that does not require precision and so can be done quite fast.
Combine that with hotkeys to switch between tabs and you can become
very efficient.

This workflow isn't well possible with e.g. the current particle tab
organization, but I am convinced that can be solved.

Brecht.