[Bf-committers] Actuall usability of some tools and new features

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 20:01:32 CET 2009

--- On Thu, 11/19/09, GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:

> From: GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Actuall usability of some tools and new features
> To: bf-committers at blender.org
> Hi,
> theeth at yahoo.com
> (2009-11-19 at 0904.17 -0800):
> >

> > --- On Thu, 11/19/09, Damir Prebeg <damir_prebeg at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > 1st. issue: Select cube and click on that
> translate button.
> > > How far can you move cube to the left side of 3D
> View? Same
> > > with Scale button, how much can you scale up that
> object?
> >
> > With the continuous grab option (which should work on
> all platforms), there's no limit, the mouse pointer just
> wraps around the 3D view.
>
> Except for tablets, where continous grab will never work
> (the pen goes
> out of the tablet and the action ends). It amazes me how
> sometimes
> tablets are considered vital and other they are totally
> ignored.

Hotkeys will fails for tablets in the same situation for the same reasons (people have to check precisely where the pointer is first before pressing a key).

As Brecht said, manipulators are still there, there's nothing new under the sun, it's just an additional way to invoke the tools, it doesn't replace any of the existing methods.

Martin