[Bf-committers] 2.5 release

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Wed Nov 18 08:18:54 CET 2009

Knapp kirjoitti:
> Agreed, as beta, is fine to release it but without all the planed
> buttons? I have never seen that before on a beta.

One definition of alpha and beta I've heard is:
* alpha is when you're still missing features, have known bugs. often
not that interesting for end users, but has things that work.
* beta is when you are kind of feature complete, and don't have loads of
known bugs / missing things - but those are expected to be found in the
wide user involving beta testing, before release candidates

Based on that it would be normal to have missing buttons and stuff in an
alpha, but not in a beta which should start to look like the final
thing. I've no idea whether this is a common conception, just something
that was used in one project (probably the lead there got it from
literature) and which has seemed to make sense to me since.

~Toni