[Bf-committers] Map Camera Coordinates to UV layer patch

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Wed Nov 11 16:53:51 CET 2009

As we all know, moving the camera even a little can wreak havoc with
sticky coordinates during camera mapping. The old
solution is to make sticky coordinates, then "bake" them to traditional
face-based uv's with a python script.
Not a bad plan, and it sure beats fighting with the UV Project modifier.

Better still? This enhancement to the newly-reconnected add_sticky
operator. A new operator is added that calls the
same structure but uses a property to toggle for "map to uvs." This
makes stickies and maps them to a new
standard (face-based) UV coordinate layer.

With this in place, camera mapping becomes perfectly stable, letting you
do whatever you want with the camera without
worrying about your stickies going bananas.

Workflow: Select object and set texture mapping style to Window (or
whatever you prefer). Use "Add Sticky as UV"
operator. Set your mapping style to UV. Done. Well, you should line up
your active camera first if you want good
results.

I just got tired of fighting with sticky coord and uv project
shenanigans and pulled the logic from scripts by Brandano and eeshlo. On
the plus side, I learned how to deal with mesh data in source!

link:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=19862

So, someone maybe take a look at this, if Durian is planning to use
matte painting and camera mapping?

--
Roland Hess
harkyman