[Bf-committers] Technical Development Question

Agustin Benavidez agustinbenavidez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 06:03:34 CET 2009

I don't know if this is the right place to ask for technical
development questions, so here we go.

After download the source code and finally got compiled it, i spent a
couple of hours reading the docs in
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5 , looking at
the code and so.

...I am still missing, of course this is the learning process, but now
some concepts like operators, ui layout engine, RNA and so are more
familiar to me.

Q1) DNA is a collection of structs/functions that defines all the data
editable and properties in blender (Meshes, configs, etc.), RNA is
another collection of types/structs/Functions that is a abstraction
layer of the DNA, and that RNA has functions and methods to write to
RNA or read from it.
So for example, blender 2.5 now does something like this:

  - Load a .blend with DNA structs/functions, then fill the RNA with
the DNA, and then the operators/modules and the whole blender start to
run and operate through it. When close blender, the new/modif RNA data
will be converted again to DNA and be saved in .blend.

This is my interpretation of what i read.  IS ALL THIS RIGHT??

ALSO, would be fantastic if, in the wiki, some of you masters of the
Development (which i really respect all of you), would create some
tutorial and PRACTICAL EXAMPLE of how add a e.g. new module for add a
text comment to a object, or how you port/add the transform
manipulator and its buttons, showing THE PROCES TO ADD IT, WHERE THE
TYPES DECLARATION BELONG, WHERE PUT THE NEW MODULE, HOW OPERATE WITH
RNA, HOW ADD BUTTONS AND SO....

...I know that i am asking so much, but that kind of practical
teaching unveil and reveal many aspects of the architecture, code
layout etc., embrace with LOVE to new developers and will save hours
of researching to figure out how the things works, when the
researching could made adding new or porting 2.4x features.

Thank you very much!

Agustin aka Agus3D.