[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Kai Kostack kaikostack at gmx.net
Tue Nov 3 17:58:01 CET 2009

+renaming all misleading stuff :p

shape keys - both words are in my opinion pretty inaccurate, especially for people new to 3d or animation. for me shapes are mainly 2-dimensional silhouette-like things. and even though words can have multiple meanings, it doesn't mean it's good to use the same word for everything, as for the keyword key. ;)

what do you reply if someone asks "what's a key in blender"? ... yes, you have to ask back what kind of key he means, because key alone is basically not enough information. "i mean the key in the layer menu" - "what layer menu? render layers, view layers?"

however, i don't care so much about changing something i already understand. but i care to reduce frustration for new users if it's reasonable. :)

i'm for "morph targets", because there is a wiki article and the term is used in zbrush, 3ds max, lightwave, poser and probably more. (only maya calls it blend shapes afaik.) and i have not a problem with using terms from other 3d packages, so that we can all speak the same language. i'm also for the teapot as primitive mesh... for >historical< reasons. ;)