[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 16:55:52 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> -1 voting for names. Please!
>
> Here's at least a short history:
> In CG animation tools, a "key" is mostly used as a term to denote a
> designated data sample on a specific time frame (the 'key frame'). This
> sample can be anything, like locations, rotations, matrices, materials,
> and even an entire mesh. So you can speak of a location-key, a
> rotation-key or a shape-key. It's just a frozen sample of data on a
> given time.
>
> The early 3D animation systems just interpolated between such data
> sets, with some kind of smoothing or easing formula.

To get more to the point, the key frame is the frame in hand done
animation that the real top pro made and then the assistant artists
came in and did the tweens. Key frames are the frames that show the
real feeling and end expressions of a movement. In Blender we still
you key frame and the computer does the tweens. It is the I key that
sets the keys. A shape or Morph target is something different in a
way.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?