[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Nov 2 15:49:40 CET 2009

Hi,

-1 voting for names. Please!

Here's at least a short history:
In CG animation tools, a "key" is mostly used as a term to denote a
designated data sample on a specific time frame (the 'key frame'). This
sample can be anything, like locations, rotations, matrices, materials,
and even an entire mesh. So you can speak of a location-key, a
rotation-key or a shape-key. It's just a frozen sample of data on a
given time.

The early 3D animation systems just interpolated between such data
sets, with some kind of smoothing or easing formula.

Here's the full history if you want to read on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_frame

Later on, many of these keys got replaced with "channels" and animation
curves. And Shape keyframing became more efficient using them as
relative positions.

Currently the term 'key' in the UI is only used for inserting... (which
works still for meshes to make Shapes btw). In 2.49b you can still see
the original "keys" in full glory within in the IpoWindow, with
animation curves displaying as editable "keys".

-Ton-