[Bf-committers] While we're talking about naming conventions...

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Mon Nov 2 14:02:29 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 07:42 -0500, Roland Hess wrote:
> As someone who has written about rendering several times, I've found
> that I have to go a long way around to be clear to readers when talking
> about render layers. Explaining the render layers palette where you
> choose which layers go to which render layer indicates to me a place for
> improvement. I've always thought that the "render layers" should
> probably be called "render groups," as Blender's main "layers"
> functionality is really more of a "grouping/show/hide" functionality.

I'd have thought "render pipes" is less confusing than "render groups",
particularly with node work, saying stuff like connect the alpha pipe
output to the blur node input seems more inline with expectations.

But otherwise yeah, the multiple things described as layers was
confusing to me as a new user. It made it difficult to visualise what
was going where.

+1 Shapes in the other discussion.. Also I'd like to see Basis changed
to Base. Talking about Base Shape and New Shape seems clear enough to
me, leaving morph as an action between a meshes shapes.