[Bf-committers] Shapes / Shape Keys - confusing terminology

Fabrizio Cali fabcali at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 02:25:29 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I think the term 'shape' is too generic and a too commonly used
English word in arts and crafts - digital or otherwise. This would
make things more confusing - not less - to explain.

Just imagine: "Yes. An object can have a certain shape ...but when we
say shape, we actually mean various varied shapes of the original
shape stored in the file that we can later key to in varying amounts.
This gives us lots of inbetween new shapes..."  uhm......WHAT?!  8-/

;)

How about 'Mold'?
I know it can have the exact same problems as Shape but it's a much
less frequent used term in computer terminology. It also has stronger
3D connotations than Shape which is a common term even in 2D programs
and it is also more apt as when you an make an RVK/VK  target, what
you're doing is preparing a 'Mold' for your mesh to conform to...
So we can now shape a Mold, key a Mold, sculpt a Mold etc etc. :)

Otherwise I'd prefer MorphTarget or even Blendshape but 'shape' on its
own will be problematic linguistically imo.

And guys: Thanks for the great work you're doing on 2.5!!! :)
Have a good week!
:)
Fabs