[Bf-committers] Linux release .deb build issues

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Thu May 28 21:14:25 CEST 2009

Ken Hughes wrote:
> I installed a hardy chroot and built a .deb with it; the trade-off
> between it and jaunty is Python 2.5 vs 2.6.  My plan is to do the
> tar.bz2 file (shared with mesa GL libs and wrapper script) and Ubuntu
> jaunty, but can also do Ubuntu hardy if we get requests (or more likely
> complaints).

Ok, my plans got derailed when I realized I can't simply copy the
contents of the tarball into /usr/bin.  The .deb that ships with Ubuntu
wraps blender in a script that first checks for and if necessary creates
the $USER/.blender directory and populates it.  Otherwise the scripts,
which are installed in /usr/share/blender/scripts, wouldn't be found.

Their wrapper script is pretty thorough, but I don't just want to copy
it and put in my .deb.  I'm going to try contacting some of the
Canonical devs to see if we can use with attribution for this release.
I'm hoping some of these issues (global vs local scripts, and where to
look for them) may be addressed in 2.5 so it won't be an issue in the
future.

Ken