[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:31:59 CEST 2009

if you based your package from the ubuntu/debian spec files Id assume
GL deps are ok.

As for LTS vs 9.04... ack, ideally both.
Though to start with only supporting 9.04 seems fine, I could do a
64bit 9.04 build if you like).
If there is much interest in these we could have LTS packages too.

Re: bundled libGL, are you ok to use the shell script + static mesa
for release? - should we add this to scons eventually?

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Ken Hughes <khughes at pacific.edu> wrote:
> I messed around and built a .deb based on my Ubuntu 9.04 install.
>
> http://www1.pacific.edu/~khughes/blender_2.49-1_i386.deb
>
> Potential problems I still see with distributing an Ubuntu .deb:
> * which release(s) do we pick?  The most recent, LTS, both?
> * are OpenGL shared lib dependencies correct?  I use the nVidia
> proprietary libs on my system, although due to a hardware bug I'm not
> using the one provided by Ubuntu.  The shared dependencies show up as
> "libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglu1-mesa | libglu1". I assume this means
> it will allow multiple packages to satisfy this requirement?
>
> Ken
>
> Alberto Torres wrote:
>> 2009/5/26 Ken Hughes <khughes at pacific.edu>:
>>
>>> * With so any linux distros out there, I don't see a practical solution
>>> for supporting their individual package managers.  We would need (at the
>>> least) .deb and .rpm packages in addition to the tar.bz2 files.   But
>>> should we do this, we'll be "competing" with the packages users can
>>> download directly for their distro and so to install blender from our
>>> site they would need to uninstall blender that comes with their distro,
>>> and if they later encounter a bug it's going to be confusing trying to
>>> track its cause.  We would end up telling users to download and install
>>> our tar.bz2 file to find the problem.
>>>

>> Altough there are a lot of distros, most linux noobs (which are the
>> ones that don't know how to use the tar.gz) use Ubuntu or any variant
>> of it. As I said earlier, Ubuntu comes with gdebi, which pops out when
>> the user double-clicks the .deb file and installs any needed
>> dependency. It also replaces any previous version.
>>
>> The only modificacion of the blender package in ubuntu I'm aware of is
>> a wrapper script which checks at startup if the ~/.blender/scripts
>> directory is up-to-date and copies or links the scripts to that folder
>> if needed.
>>
>> Replying to Cambell: Yes, I'm interested in making .deb packages. I'm
>> not very experienced but I've done .deb packages in the past.

- Campbell