[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Mango Jambo moraesjunior at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:06:30 CEST 2009

My 2 pence:
I am a Ubuntu user, and I always had problems (bugs) with Blender from
Ubuntu repository. So, nowdays I do install the repository version (to get
the mime type and menu shortcut working fine) and then I download the
tar.bz2, extracting to /opt and set the link /usr/bin/blender to
/opt/blender/blender (and blenderplayer either). That is it. Original
Blender version working better.
Oh, one last thing: and I do copy the .blender folder to my home folder,
cause blender deb makes a link for the/usr/lib/blender/.blender (something
like this).

So, for me, the tar.bz2 is working fine, cause I can download, extract and
use, like some windows softwares that come in .zip packages (like
blender.zip version for windows).
Autopackage could be an option like the blender .exe installer. I did use it
for inkscape in the past, and was really easy to install. And it was handle
cause it just copy to /opt (or something like that) and already set the menu
shortcuts and mime type
I know the subject is about Static blender, but why not change a static +
dinamic version to a tar.bz2 + autopackage version like we have for windows?
But with mesa lib include.
It is thinking in people who use Linux and want a fast traditional
installation from blender.org. For me, one tar.bz2 version  (with dinamic
and static option) is perfect.

Cheers.

Moraes Junior - aka mangojambo
3D Artist Animator