[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Mon May 25 07:32:37 CEST 2009

2009/5/25 Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com>:
> Asking to remove completely was probably premature. But I don't think
> there is much, if anything in the documentation about repositories. We
> have people being told by peers that Blender works better on Linux,
> then they immediately install Linux, download the packages from
> blender.org, and from there they can't figure out what to do with it
> and are lost.
>
> I think the noob ratio of people downloading the Linux packages from
> blender.org is very high, because experienced users will load it from
> their repository or build it from SVN.

The simple and effective solution to that is documentation. A short
how-to unpack and start should suffice.

I don't think we want to rely solely on distribution builds, since
they might use optimization flags we don't endorse in our official
builds, leading to unnecessary bug reports and wasted debugging time.

/Nathan