[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 05:48:43 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> Check it, yo!: Campbell Barton was sayin:
>> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Alex Fraser <alex at phatcore.com> wrote:
>> > On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> [ ... ]
>
>> On Arch-Linux theres a mesagl package but I cant install it without
>> removing my nvidia-drivers,
>
> Gentoo can have both in parallel, and you can use the eselect script to choose
> which is active.
>
>> Even in cases where they do co-exist I'm sure its possible to wangle
>> it somehow but setting up the LD_PRELOAD_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point
>> to an alternate libGL.so and libGLU.so is beyond most users.
>>
>> Id also be careful of this because systems will use different mesa
>> versions which makes comparing tests between systems more troublesome,
>> especially with GLSL which seems to be getting better supported each
>> mesa release.
>>
>> Incase it wasn't clear in previous emails +1 for dropping static
>> distro for 2.49.
>
> I think I'm speaking for most people on the forums (although some may disagree
> with me) when I request to take down any Linux builds, static or dynamic, and
> replace them with some documentation on the concept of package repositories.
>
> There are many people trying out linux in place of windows for the first time
> who have no concept of repositories. They come stumbling into the forums
> looking like lost sheep, wondering why the linux package they downloaded from
> blender.org doesn't just install itself like it would in windows world. And it
> takes quite a while to get them to understand the linux package management
> paradigm. And it keeps happening over and over.
>
> Maybe you could still have the linux builds, but try to bury them a bit behind
> documentation explaining and encouraging the use of distro repositories.
>
> -Reuben

This is the first time I have heard a request to remove linux builds completely,
If there are problems with our linux builds failing we need to deal
with this. - Including python in blender2.5 should help - possibly
statically linking OpenEXR and OpenAL too.

However at the moment its off topic since we're discussing bundling
software OpenGL in the regular linux-builds.