[Bf-committers] Static linux version, drop?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 04:55:08 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Alex Fraser <alex at phatcore.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMHO +1mb is acceptable to avoid distributing 2 versions of blender,
>> plus we can easily ask people to compare software and hardware
>> accelerated OpenGL when they have graphics related problems/crashes -
>> which are really common in the tracker.
>
> Isn't it very easy to install Mesa as a system package (e.g. using
> apt), if the user needs it? Or does it conflict with the hardware
> driver's OpenGL lib?

True but even so I think its too complicated -

( Tedious explanation :) )
On Arch-Linux theres a mesagl package but I cant install it without
removing my nvidia-drivers,
Even in cases where they do co-exist I'm sure its possible to wangle
it somehow but setting up the LD_PRELOAD_PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point
to an alternate libGL.so and libGLU.so is beyond most users.

Id also be careful of this because systems will use different mesa
versions which makes comparing tests between systems more troublesome,
especially with GLSL which seems to be getting better supported each
mesa release.

Incase it wasn't clear in previous emails +1 for dropping static
distro for 2.49.