[Bf-committers] OT: 3D-Math Question

Remo Pini remo.pini at avexys.com
Thu May 7 19:04:50 CEST 2009

Hi all

I know this might be the wrong place to ask, but with so many brilliant
heads in one spot, I just have to try...

I have an object A and an object B

For each of these objects, I have a translation/location T
(3D-Vector/Vertex), a rotation R (Quaternion) and a Scale S (Float).

So:

Object A: Ta, Ra, Sa

Object B: Tb, Rb, Sb

My problem is the following: Object B's T & R are relative to Object A
and I need to transform them into absolute T & R so that I can calculate
the actual position of each vertex.

I tried some (I thought) obvious things like:

Tb' = (Tb-Ta)*Ra+Ta

Rb' = Ra*Rb

Then for each Vertex Vb of B:

Vb' = (Vb*Sb)*Rb + Tb

However, this seems to be wrong, if I start to rotate Object A around,
the position of Object B relative to Object A changes (which it
shouldn't).

What am I doing wrong here?

Cheer

Remo