[Bf-committers] Python 2.6 _future_

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 00:13:45 CEST 2009

The only reason to release windows and linux with py2.6 is because
linux and windows users now often have python2.6 on their system,
ubuntu 8.10 has 2.6 by default for eg.

we plan is to keep blender 2.4x using python 2.x, and blender2.5 can
move to python 3.x (dropping support for py2.x and all blender 2.4x
scripts)
Unless python3 proves to be really bad this is probably what will happen.
We can migrate scripts over a number of blender2.5x releases.

blender2.4x with python 3.x is possible but I doubt it would ever be
in an official release since it would break scripts 2.4x comes with,
updating scripts probably wouldn't be so hard but Id rather not waist
time on this.

for people not following blender 2.5 development, python3 is currently
supported, using defines to keep it building with py2 until we solve
the problem of bundling python with blender on OS's.

>From 2.4x we will need to move the game engine to python3 (GameLogic,
Rasterizer, Mathutils, BGL, Geometry) I have made a start on this and
it should not be hard to finish - mostly search/replace.

- Campbell

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Dustin Martin <dustin at 54.org> wrote:
> Hey there,
> There would have to be two of every script in order to support Python 3k
> because it breaks backwards compatibility, which is a bit of maintenance.
>  OSX at this time does not have an official apple build of Py3k which is why
> it probably wasn't suggested at this time.  There are differences between
> the OS supplied python and the one you can get off python.org for OSX.
>
> - Dustin
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen at herr-schmitt.de>wrote:
>
>> Tyler Tricker schrieb:
>> > Is there a goal to get the scripts ready for py3k, or is that going to be
>> > later project?
>> >

>> On the Fedora project, we plan to migrate to py3k, so there is an important
>> requirement to migrate blender for py2k, because we don't want to support
>> compat package for older python releases.
>>
>> Best Regards:
>>
>> Jochen Schmitt

- Campbell