[Bf-committers] Bundled Scripts 2.49

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:11:09 CEST 2009

Hey Brendon, good to see someone managing community scripts,
Im ok to see some of these scripts included in 2.49 with provisions.

An experienced blender user and scripter should read over the scripts
and check for common pitfalls,
* Scripts should never overwrite data by making assumptions about Mesh
names (NMesh.PutRaw is very bad with this)
* Scripts should always deal with data in the current scenes (I have
memories of loosing work because some scripts didn't take the
possibility of multiple scenes into account and modified everything
from Object.Get())

Code quality should be at least reasonable...
* no try/excepts around large/complex functions
* no python script errors for common use cases, rather give useful messages.

Some of the scripts just from the names look useful but obscure, maybe
we could include these in a "contrib" directory or not at all.

At least one of the scripts in that list isnt needed anymore because
its been added in C, so we need to double check  these scripts are
still valid.

- How do we respond to bug reports with these scripts? (and who deals
with them).
- Do we drop our (high?) standards for scripts because will be the
last release of 2.4x?
... when I started using blender I found the scripts in blender so
unreliable that I ended up mostly used my own scripts (ack! this
sounds so arrogant but I'm not kidding, so many scripts would give
error messages or hosing blenders internal state for dumb reasons)
I think Matt remembers this too, if it had a Python icon I'd save
before running.

So I don't want to give users such a mixed experience that they end up
not trusting scripts in general, its also bad for blenders if we
include unreliable scripts.

Officially LetterRip, Willian and myself are the gate keepers for
scripts, Mingus should be added to this list too :)
We could split the list up for review.

Personally Im OK with this as long as there is some quality checks
but we could just leave it for now,
this is very close to release, maybe this can be distributed
separately, even on blenders download page for instance as an extra
set of tools to be used with blender.

- Campbell