[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 56, Issue 41

Damien Marchal damien.marchal at lifl.fr
Mon Mar 30 09:05:55 CEST 2009

============ Reply to =======

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:38:26 +0200
From: Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org>
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Multi-Touch Based User Interface for
	Blender
To: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at blender.org>

=============================

Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the proper list to discuss this subject but as I'm
cited by Ashish I'm jump into the thread.

I'm the author of  the third link given by Ashish (an unofficial blender
version with TUIO supported in the game engine).
http://forge.lifl.fr/PIRVI/wiki/MTUtils/blenderTUIO

I fully agree with Ton that making a MT blender interface is really an
hard work in which it is unclear what will be the users benefit in
erm of workflow improvement. On my side having multi touch support in
the game engine was an easy step and thus I'm still considering
to submit it for integration (not yet done due to lack of time and
remaining bugs when loading/saving files).

As there is quite a lot of interest in the field maybe all the
blender+multi-touch people could form a working group ?
With the following target:
1) evaluate and implement MT support for both the Game Engine and in the
Modeller (with mt you  can do rotation+translation+scaling of an object
with one movement)
2) pre-review the code made and test it on multiple touch devices,
2) submit the code for review and integration in the official bender trunk

Can the blender foundation host a mailing list for such a topic
(otherwise I can create one) ?
and second issue is there people interrested to participate ?

Cheers,
Damien.

===============================

Message: 4 Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:38:26 +0200 From: Ton Roosendaal
<ton at blender.org> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Multi-Touch Based User
Interface for Blender To: bf-blender developers
<bf-committers at blender.org> Message-ID:
<bc401cbbabe879b64cb80734208a0aa7 at blender.org> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Hi Ashish, I think Multi-touch is a
great topic to work on, and indeed with 2.5 we have a much better basis
in the code to look into that. There's three big 'howevers' though. :) -
The 2.5 code isn't ready for this yet. It's possible, but it needs
additional architecture-level work on the event system to make it work.
I would rather only do that after we've validated this with a first
(beta) 2.5 release. - On our submission page we have a couple of
requirements, of which one is "What would this benefit Blender users". I
think the amount of users having access to such devices is still very
low, and - afaik - nobody in our core developers team (or mentors) has
it either, so we cannot verify this work. - Several developers, also who
work for companies producing such devices, have already expressed
interest to work on it. To me it seems that work on device-support
should first come from people who manufacture them. That's one of the
reasons why open source works so well, and it doesnt require Google
Summer money really. -Ton-
Ton Roosendaal Blender Foundation ton at blender.org www.blender.org
Blender Institute BV Entrepotdok 57A 1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands On