[Bf-committers] Khronos + Mozilla: 3D on the web

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Mar 29 22:21:34 CEST 2009

Ton Roosendaal kirjoitti:
> Quite a nice initiative right? So, we should ensure Blender gets
> involved. :)

It is interesting indeed - it is finally about time for browsers to get
access to hardware accelerated 3d (so far people have resorted to even
writing 3d engines that run on cpu in flash, and even with javascript
without flash to draw some polygons :) .. only exception being java apps
that have been able to use opengl for a long time, so there are
succesfull mmorpgs etc written in it)

Do you something specific in mind what this might mean for Blender? I
don't suppose you're thinking of targetting a Blender 3 rewrite in 2011
in javascript so that the whole app would run in a web browser :p

> Who here on the list would be interested to represent Blender for this
> initiative? I guess it's mostly mailing lists, tele-conferences, but
> also face-to-face meetings.

I'm working pretty much full time with '3d web' stuff now but from a bit
different angle, working with http://www.realxtend.org/ (where our
company is now joining as a partner too) in collaboration with
http://www.opensimulator.org/ .. that's why was also interested in that
Khronos + Mozilla / opengl-es + javascript in browser initiative, as we
are now writing a 'virtual worlds browser' (/'generic game client'?),
using ogre and core in c++, and I'm responsible for the client side
scripting work (similar to how javascript is in browsers, and how
perhaps that new 3d stuff will be exposed there too, so will be
following that).

Am nowhere near SF, and like said have to look at the devs from that bit
different angle too, so perhaps there is someone else who can represent
BF better. I'll be thinking of Blender too of course, and hope we'll get
to use it together nicely with the upcoming realxtend toolset as well.

> -Ton-

~Toni