[Bf-committers] Multi-Touch Based User Interface for Blender

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 29 18:38:26 CEST 2009

Hi Ashish,

I think Multi-touch is a great topic to work on, and indeed with 2.5 we
have a much better basis in the code to look into that.

There's three big 'howevers' though. :)

- The 2.5 code isn't ready for this yet. It's possible, but it needs
additional architecture-level work on the event system to make it work.
I would rather only do that after we've validated this with a first
(beta) 2.5 release.

- On our submission page we have a couple of requirements, of which one
is "What would this benefit Blender users". I think the amount of users
having access to such devices is still very low, and - afaik - nobody
in our core developers team (or mentors) has it either, so we cannot
verify this work.

- Several developers, also who work for companies producing such
devices, have already expressed interest to work on it. To me it seems
that work on device-support should first come from people who
manufacture them. That's one of the reasons why open source works so
well, and it doesnt require Google Summer money really.

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands