[Bf-committers] ffmpeg upgrade in extern : end of the story

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Sun Mar 22 14:23:30 CET 2009

> I suppose the problem is not limited to linux though,
> scons+mingw would have the same issue, right?

The problem affects all the system that use scons and ffmpeg in extern,
and that's not the case of scons+mingw. I made a list of the really
messy situation about ffmpeg some time ago.. Here it is again:

OS / compilation    ffmpeg used
--------------------------------
darwin/scons        extern
Irix6/scons         ../lib/irix-6.5-mips
Linux2/scons        extern (/usr is there but is commented)
Sunos/scons         /usr/local
Win32-mingw/scons   ../lib/windows/gcc
Win32-vc/scons      ../lib/windows
Unix/cmake          /usr
Win32/cmake         ../lib/windows
All/Makefile        extern
Win32/project       ../lib/windows

The problem is with scons+extern. For these systems I recommend using
precompiled libraries in ../lib or system libraries in /usr.
Makefile can deal pretty well with ffmpeg because it goes through the
standard process configure/make/make install, but it is still a bit
messy because the extern/ffmpeg/Makefile is not the original ffmpeg
Makefile but a custom one that needs a bit of adaptation to work with
the new ffmpeg. A much better arangement would be to put the
configure/make/make install process in extern/Makefile so that
extern/ffmpeg becomes a genuine, unmodified ffmpeg repository.

There is a real need to clean the mess but I'm not volunteering though.

Benoit