[Bf-committers] ffmpeg upgrade in extern : end of the story

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Sat Mar 21 21:09:55 CET 2009

Since the ffmpeg web site was up again, I attempted the upgrade of
ffmpeg in extern. Alas, it failed for the same reasons I explained
before: the Sconscript scans the ffmpeg Makefiles and assumes that all
the objects collected under $(OBJS) are .c files but it is not true
anymore: some asm files are now mixed up with the .c files. While this
is not a problem for make, which can handle mulitple dependency rules,
Sconscript with its simplistic assumptions fails to find the correct
source.

So I'm giving up upgrading ffmpeg to version 0.5. I have a patch that
allows to compile blender with the old and the new ffmpeg but I don't
see the point of commiting it (only useful for Windows where the new
ffmpeg libs are available, but not yet commited).
Somebody will have to fix the mess with Scons if we want to upgrade to
0.5. For my part I've wasted enough time on that.

Regards,
Benoit