[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2009!

Jingyuan Huang jingyuan.huang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:44:49 CET 2009

I started working on an interactive design interface of image-based
lighting. I saw a video of illumination brush
(http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~makoto21/IlluminationBrush2.htm)
and thought that it's a very cool idea. Instead of specifying the
light sources or finding the perfect environment map, users can draw
on the objects and get the desired effects.

My current plan is based on the siggraph poster, Illimination Brush:
Interactive Design of Image-based Lighting, rather than the paper
published in 2007 since I decided to start from spherical harmonics
instead of spherical radial basis functions. (Well, there is more
information online about spherical harmonics.) I also think that
specular brush is not quite suitable for lighting. To me that's more
related to BRDF. Therefore my current goals for my project is to
1. user hdr image specified in Blender as lighting environment (in 2.5
the controls are not ready yet so I added some extra buttons/file
selector to load hdr) - roughly done
2. render blender meshes from main camera's viewpoint using spherical
harmonics, diffuse (roughly done) and diffuse with shadow (plan to
finish this week)
3. rotate the object in shlight space and the orientation is updated
in view3d space.
4. select colours for diffuse brush and specify brush strokes on the
meshes. the lighting environment would be updated to achieve the
desired effect.
5. drag shadow or highlights to rotate lighting environment
6. the updated lighting environment will be used for final rendering
using either yafray or blender internal renderer
7. I will only do diffuse brush and deal with mesh objects.

I have a worklog
(http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~j23huang/projects/shlight/worklog.html)
but it's really simple and possibly hard to understand what I'm doing
exactly (I use it to keep track of my own progress). I don't know if
this project sounds like a good project for GSoC. I will keep building
it no matter what, although it might be quite limited if it stays as
my personal playground.

I also notice that colour management is a desired project. I haven't
given too much thought on that but I'm taking a colour course this
term, and my supervisor's main research area is colour. Therefore I
may get some useful ideas about colour management from him. What kind
of colour management system do we want? Would it be a system mainly
for colour space conversion or do we want to extend it to colour
themes or other things?

Best Wishes
Jingyuan Huang
Computer Graphics Lab