[Bf-committers] installing blender binaries after compiling via the cmake route:-help with

lux-integ lux-integ at btconnect.com
Tue Mar 10 20:27:09 CET 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009 04:46:04 am Sven von Brand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a guide to compile blender, I would recommend using scons.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BuildingBlender
>
> lux-integ wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am new to this list.  My Host system is an AMD64  box  with 64-bit
> > (not multilib) LFS linux  (kernel 2.6.27.7, GCC-4.3.2)  I managed to
> > compile blender-2.48a  for installation in the directory /opt/blender
> > using the CMake system  see below:-
> >
> > ######################### compiler spew
> > [100%] Building CXX object
> > source/gameengine/SceneGraph/CMakeFiles/bf_scenegraph.dir/SG_Controller.o
> > Linking CXX static library ../../../lib/libbf_scenegraph.a
> > [100%] Built target bf_scenegraph
> > Scanning dependencies of target bf_bullet
> > [100%] Building C object source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/dna.o
> > Linking C executable ../../bin/blender
> > /usr/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.a(posixmodule.o): In function
> > `posix_tmpnam':
> > /~~/base-vpnc-08/Python-2.5.2/./Modules/posixmodule.c:6862: warning: the
> > use of `tmpnam_r' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
> > /usr/lib/python2.5/config/libpython2.5.a(posixmodule.o): In function
> > `posix_tempnam':
> > /~~/base-vpnc-08/Python-2.5.2/./Modules/posixmodule.c:6817: warning: the
> > use of `tempnam' is dangerous, better use `mkstemp'
> > [100%] Built target blender
> >

> > bash-3.2# ls  ~//blender-2.48a/build/source
> > blender  CMakeFiles  cmake_install.cmake  creator  gameengine  kernel
> > Makefile
> >
> > #################
> >
> > I however cant install it.
> >
> > (a)  make install yields:-
> > [100%] Built target blender
> > make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
> >
> > (b) after reading the Makefile and discovering there is no 'install' in
> > the said file I found the file cmake.install.cmake.  However after
> > issuing the command   "cmake -P cmake.install.cmake"  the following
> > results:-
> >
> >  attempting to install
> > -- Install configuration: ""
> > i.e. nothing happens.
> >
> > help would be appreciated.
> >

> > sincerely
> > lux-integ
> > ps
> > I hope  I on the right list for compiling and installing blender.    Am I
> > on such a list?
>
> depends on your intentions with blender.

> greetings
On Tuesday 10 March 2009 04:46:04 am Sven von Brand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a guide to compile blender, I would recommend using scons.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BuildingBlender

Many thanks for your suggestion.  I came across the said page before but I am
somewhat committed to  cmake.  I have installed it and  in the process  of
learning it to install kde4.x.   I am a bit lazy to divert to another build
system.

Since your email,  I did a bit more digging on cmake's use and (after the
cmake command)  issued the  following command (within the build
directory)    "ccmake  ~/blender-2.4.8a   -Z MakefileX".   To my surprise it
was accepted.  However  I  did not find MakefileX on completion of the
compilation,  I  found Makefile  ( with vastly more options than before)
with a  'preinstall/quick'  option but still no 'install' option.    The
former  option  does not  write the binaries/libraries/headers
etc  into the  'set'  install-prefix.

I am wondering if there is a group  of  blender developers focussed on  using
cmake as   a build tool.    If    anyone on list knows of any,  I would be
grateful  for their contact details.

Yours sincerely

lux-integ.