[Bf-committers] [Fwd: Re: Meeting minutes, 29 june 2009]

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Jun 30 00:36:01 CEST 2009

On 30/06/2009, at 12:03 AM, Nathan Letwory wrote:

>> A python install has never been required.
>
> The installer has always checked for a full Python install of the
> version Blender was built against. Of course, you could just not
> install
> Python, but then you won't have all modules. A full Python install is
> not *really* required *unless* you use scripts that use modules that
> are
> not in python26.zip .
>
> The zip distribution is just a simple 'installer' that doesn't do
> those
> checks, thus gives no notices if a full install is not available. (And
> the unpacking + copying you have to do yourself ;) )
>
> There really is nothing special about the installer, it has worked
> like
> this for ages.

I haven't used the installer in a while either so I was surprised to
see this too.

http://blenderecia.orgfree.com/blender/pythonBlender.jpg

What's 'special' is that it seems to be misleading. If a full python
installation is not actually required to use Blender (which it isn't),
then why are we telling new users that it is? It's extra hassle,
downloading, installing (and potential associated issues with having
permissions) for extra module functionality that most artists won't
even need. In some places internet time is less accessible and cheap
too, so I don't think it's nice to give the impression that they have
to download python if they don't.

I think it would be much better replacing that dialog with:

"For optional extra scripting functionality, you will need to install
Python 2.6. Pressing 'Get Python' will take you to the python.org
website."
[ Ignore ]  [ Get Python ]

cheers,

Matt