[Bf-committers] Proposal for unifying nodes

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:55:10 CEST 2009

Ok.  So to summarize the discussion, what we want is a way to
meaningfully share nodes between tree types where it makes sense,
right?  But not necessarily have a totally unified system.  It's a
little confusing to me, because it seems like there's a lot of
hyperbole going on :)

Anyway, I think being able to share nodes where it makes sense is a
good idea.  I'm not sure how that would work though in more complex
cases.  Mixing texture nodes and modifier nodes, for example, wouldn't
work in a naive implementation because texture nodes operate on single
values, while modifier nodes would operate on many.  You'd need a more
intelligent system, maybe even Robin's idea of passing around
procedural functions.

Joe