[Bf-committers] Proposal for unifying nodes

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Wed Jun 17 06:04:05 CEST 2009

>> Again, textures are not data, textures are dynamic functionality.
>
> They're equivalent. You can see them as either. Personally I think users
> would find "textures as things" to be a nicer abstraction.

   The thing is, I really *want* to agree with you on this point.  The
more I've been thinking about it, the more I've felt like, "Yeah,
procedurals are basically just 3d, infinite size, infinite resolution
bitmaps."  It's a really appealing thought.  Really appealing.  And it
would make things like blur nodes possible.

   But... arg.  Then I think, "But what if I want to plug part of the
texture coordinates into the scale parameter instead of the y
parameter?  Or what if I want the <x,y> to be constant, and drive the
texture entirely by plugging the coords into scale and turbulance?
And why shouldn't the user be able to blur across the scale parameter
too?"

   In treating procedurals as images, you're choosing for the user
which inputs are "settings" and which are varying parameters.
   If we were going to do things as you propose, then I'd say *all* of
the texture's parameters should be treated as part of the texture
object's parameters, not the node's.  But then the parameters are
different between texture types, and things get messy.  Plus it's much
harder for the user to simply set the texture parameters.

--Nathan V