[Bf-committers] Proposal for unifying nodes

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Jun 16 11:26:40 CEST 2009

> Tree types is something you can't avoid in my opinion. To me the purpose
> of unification would be to share nodes between tree types, not to allow
> all nodes in all tree types.

   Maybe.  What the tree types really do, IMO, is simply tell Blender
how to use the tree.

   Fundamentally all data can be decomposed into scalars of some sort
or another.  Which means that, for example, if we had a "constraint
nodes tree" we could still use compositing nodes in them as long as we
could, for example, convert a vector into a 1x3 gray-scale bitmap and
back.  Similar things could be done for any node type in any tree: as
long as you can decompose it into scalars, conversion is possible.  We
just need sufficient data-conversion nodes, and then all nodes can be
used everywhere.

   So ultimately the "type" of the tree just tells Blender what
context to use it in.  The context does place some restrictions, but
they're restrictions on the contextual data available (texture
coordinates, for example), and the data types of the outputs of the
tree.  None of the restrictions have to do with the "normal"
functional nodes that just take input and produce output.
   So unification of the node trees in that sense makes a lot of sense
to me, and I could see it being really powerful.  Potentially it also
means that (as in the proposal, but with some restrictions) entire
trees could be used as nodes in other trees (even of differing types),
because they simply take input and produce output, just like nodes.

   What I *don't* see is how passing functions through the node
networks--instead of passing data--generalizes or helps anything.
   If anything I see the shift towards "functions as data" as forcing
even more separation between tree types, rather than unifying them.
If everything is data, then everything can be much more easily unified
and shared between trees.
   Passing functions instead of data also makes a lot of things
implicit in the trees instead of explicit, which IMO is an extremely
bad thing.  For example, in the current texture nodes, texture
coordinates are both implicit as inputs to the whole tree and
implicitly passed downstream to later nodes.  And that's ultimately
because those coordinates are treated as inputs of the function object
being passed along.  The user never sees the coordinates, even though
they are a core part of how textures work, and would be powerful to be
able to manipulate directly as data (for example, passing them through
a compositing node for kicks).
   Lastly, it's confusing as hell to have nodes--which are very much
functions themselves--processing and passing other functions.  I can
imagine myself tearing a lot of hair out trying trouble-shoot issues
resulting from that.

   All I see in the "functions-as-data" paradigm is limitations,
increased categorization, and user confusing.  Not freedom and
unification, and user clarity.
   IMO nodes should remain data-based.

--Nathan V