[Bf-committers] CSG - Carve GPLed

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:04:09 CEST 2009

Heres an attempt to give carve something complicated, it finished
quite fast (< 5sec) and gave good results.
http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/carve_text.png

Some of the problems I had were because of blenders scanfill failing
when importing the OBJ, heres a modified script that also triangulates
the OBJ

# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/carve/lib
# export PATH=$PATH:/opt/carve/bin
import bpy, import_obj, export_obj, os
sce = bpy.data.scenes.active
ob1, ob2 = tuple(sce.objects.context)
export_obj.write('a.obj', [ob1])
export_obj.write('b.obj', [ob2])
os.system('intersect --obj a.obj A_MINUS_B b.obj > c.obj')
os.system('triangulate --obj c.obj > c_tri.obj')
import_obj.load_obj('c_tri.obj', False)

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Tobias Sargeant
<tobias.sargeant at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2009, at 6:32, Ken Hughes <khughes at pacific.edu> wrote:
>
>> I assume you can it operate on non-manifold meshes.  A quick test here
>> indicates no.
>>>

> Carve itself can handle open surfaces, but that's not built into the
> intersect tool, as the type of result you want needs to be specified
> explicitly. It is unclear how you define all possible operations,
> especially in the case of a mixture of closed and open surfaces. I
> think in this case the best solution might be to return the divided
> surfaces and get the user to choose which to keep.
>
> Toby

- Campbell