[Bf-committers] Compositor behavior change (Roger Wickes)

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Tue Jun 2 21:32:15 CEST 2009

Hi,

> I think 2.5 (via the UI previs videos) shows any size proxy (even 200%)
> is selecteable, not just the ones AE has.

I think, it's time to clear up the discussion a little bit, since that
definitely _wasn't_ the thing, Daniel is talking about :)

Current state in Blender since Blender 2.46 actually is:

The render size setting is used (or misused see below :) ) as a tool to
configure the proxy rendering system of the sequencer.

Take a look here:
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-246/sequencer-changes/

I did that, since I didn't want to re-invent any wheels. Actually, these
render size setting is in fact a tool, to quickly generate low resolution
pictures / animations without the hassle to manually tune resolution
settings.

So as I thought, semantics fit very well proxy rendering settings (those
are actually low resolution preview anims). So I used it.

Nobody complained since then. :)

Last week, I used proxies really heavily for the first time and was pretty
much annoyed, that the preview window doesn't keep it's size, if you
switch between final rendering mode and proxy resolution setting.

So I changed the preview code to make it keep always the final render
output resolution (thereby upscaling the proxy video, if one chooses
smaller render sizes like 25%, 50%, 75%).

That annoyed Daniel, since he obviously liked the old behaviour for some
odd reasons, I still haven't really understood. (Those are preview
resolutions, actually, otherwise you would have chosen different output
render sizes, right?) To put that straight: I think, the problem lies in
the fact, that we both have different interpretations of these little
render size switches.

Anyway: what I still miss, is the use case, where the old behaviour is
less annoying.

If there is a serious use case, my proposal is, that you can choose either
in userpref (Ton will kill me for that, I'm sure, so not a very good idea
:) or within the new per preview rendersize switch, which pretty much
resembles that of After Effects, I must admit :) (Something like "Unscal"
for unscaled as an additional option.).

Regards,
Peter