[Bf-committers] CSG - Carve GPLed

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 17:06:55 CEST 2009

Heres a test script to run the intersect command on 2 meshes and load
back in the result into blender.

# select 2 objects

import bpy
, import_obj
, export_obj
, os

sce = bpy.data.scenes.active

try:    ob1, ob2 = tuple(sce.objects.context)

except: print 'select 2 objects'

export_obj.write('a.obj', [ob1])

export_obj.write('b.obj', [ob2])

os.system('intersect --obj a.obj A_MINUS_B b.obj > c.obj')

import_obj.load_obj('c.obj', False)

The results so far are fast and good quality except I cant get OBJ's
with quads to work properly, the result has verts at the intersection
added but no boolean. OBJ's with Tri's only work well.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Tobias Sargeant
<tobias.sargeant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry you had problems compiling it. I've committed a fix, and updated
> the tarball.
>
> In src/, a file called intersect gets built.
>
> intersect -h will give you some help, but you can use it to do
> arbitrary boolean operations on .ply files (and .obj and .vtk -
> although the loaders for these formats are probably a little less
> forgiving). the output format is selectable, but is .ply by default.
> you can pipe the output of intersect straight into view to visualise
> the result.
>
> Toby.
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great to see!, can you give any hints as to the fastest way to prototype this?
>> eg - export 2 meshes in some format and run boolean then re-import the data?
>>
>> I did this years ago with another boolean library to see if it was
>> better then blenders, disappointingly it wasn't, (k3d was using it for
>> a while, now they use http://www.cgal.org it seems but I couldn't find
>> the one I tested with, its name began with a 'g' IIRC)
>>
>> Tried to compile Carve but had some problems with gcc4.4 reported as a
>> google code issue.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Tobias Sargeant
>> <tobias.sargeant at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to drop a small note to say that I've (finally) produced
>>> a GPLed version of Carve, my CSG library. I originally mentioned my
>>> intention to to this a rather long time ago. Hopefully there's still
>>> some interest.
>>>
>>> The repository is here: http://code.google.com/p/carve/
>>>
>>> And thre's some info about Carve at: http://carve-csg.com/
>>>
>>> The version on code.google.com is my current development tree, so
>>> there may be rough edges. Having said that, it's been stable for a
>>> long time, so the only issues I think are likely crop up are in the
>>> build system - most likely with the win32 and xcode projects, as I use
>>> autotools for day to day work.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Toby.
>>>

>> --