[Bf-committers] Women and Open Source (Fwd: Call for diversity)

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:32:37 CEST 2009

I'm a little confused on just what we're supposed to do about this.
It seems to me that women simply aren't interested in OSS in the same
numbers as men; this is true with computer science and IT in general.
I don't believe it's our place to encourage woman to enter this
fields; that's what universities and scholarship grant programs are
for (which I imagine are far more effective).

I think the attitude of "well, there must be something wrong with our
society if woman aren't going into this field as much as men" is
stupid.  There's nothing that says that women *must* be as interested
in computer science as men are, in the same proportions.  Frankly, I
think it's a little insulting to women, as if society is telling them
that they are somehow less then men by not choosing careers in exactly
the same proportions.  Besides, plenty of woman go into fields that
require as much or more study then computer science (medicine comes to
mind).

I think encouraging women to go into engineering fields is a good
idea, but I don't think such a thing can work in an OSS project.  For
one thing, I don't imagine there's much we could do, anyway.  And like
I said above, I think universities and scholarship programs are far
more effective; unlike OSS projects, they can give real financial
incentives, while I can't really think of anything *we* could do.

Joe