[Bf-committers] Python 3.1 proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:37:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Dalai Felinto<dfelinto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Campbell,
> my general opinion (user and dev-wise) is positive +1/+1 regarding this.
>
> I have only 3 concerns:
>
> 1) You don't mention gameplayer in BGE there.
> How would that be affected by your zipping/not zipping modules proposal?
Not really an issue, blender player will use the same modules blender will.

> 2) In 2.4xx I was a bit worried with the risks of a full python
> bundled with Blender (problems if you open untrusted .blend files).
> But if you say we are safe(r) now, then let's do it. (or if this
> concern is not that relevant).
A full python might make it a bit easier to do bad stuff, but I dont
think its an issue, in 2.4x blender on a mac and windows can do this
anyway, most linux installs too.

> 3) Compatibility of external modules with python 3.1.
> It doesn't look like all external python libraries will be ported to
> 3.0 any time soon. For example CLR (integration between Python and
> dotNET) development doesn't look so optimistic (for the amount of work
> required) to be updated to 3.0.-
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythondotnet/2009-May/000930.html
Its hard to know but I think by the time blender 2.5 is used in place
of 2.4x I think many important modules will be ported over (pygame,
numpy, pil). Not sure about dotNET.

Even so using external modules isn't common usage for blender, most
aren't python developers and many scripts don't use them since it
limits usage of the script to people who have the extensions
installed.
I'd argue this isn't a requirement for moving to python 3.1.

> I hope that change before 2.5 release. But in case it doesn't, what
> are the alternatives? It's not going to be possible to build Blender
> or BGE with python 2.xx after your changes, right?

supporting python 2.x can go on indefinitely, though if other devs
really want this Id like if others could help maintain, testing
changes with multiple python versions is tedious.

> Cheers,
> Dalai
>
> http://blenderecia.orgfree.com
> 2009/7/3 Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>:
>> Heres my proposal for moving blender 2.5 to python 3.1,
>>
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI_31
>>
>> The last 2 sections -   Proposal and Tasks, sum things up if you dont
>> want to read through the details.
>>
>> To keep things simple I only mention OSX/Linux/Windows, but other unix
>> OS's can be dealt with like linux.
>>
>> I tested a standalone blender that runs on linux without python
>> installed. There were some unexpected problems I wont go into details
>> but I think this is the easiest way to bundle python.
>>
>> There are a few things that don't matter so much like static vs
>> dynamic linking and zip vs including a folder.
>> The maintainer of each OS can decide on these but for the purpose of
>> getting things going I put forward my preference and reasoning for the
>> decisions, we can switch between these later if it makes sense to.
>>
>> If there are any questions Id like to try resolve before this Sunday meeting.
>> Assuming this is accepted Id like to make this move within a week and
>> remove support for python2.
>>
>> feedback and +|- 1's welcome

- Campbell