[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [21276] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender/python/intern/bpy_rna.c: disabling foreach_get/set for python2.x, since it uses new buffer api.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 04:40:56 CEST 2009

Keeping older python versions working is not __hard__ it just takes
time, people complain when their versions breaks, I need to look into
why, maybe compile 2 versions of python to make sure its ok.

When scripts in blender 2.5 get more advanced this will be an issue too.
- we had this is blender 2.4x with py2.3 - 2.5, even with much smaller
changes then py3 introduces.

I see it as being another stumbling block, someone on IRC might ask
why some script they found doesn't work. - then you have to try
remember which features are supported by what python.
This  wastes time even if it ends up just being trivial like a print
"" -> print("") syntax error.

Since we intend to bundle python with blender, the inconvenience is
only for the developers and people who build their own blender.
Even though these is some inconvenience, in the long term it saves
time maintaining #ifdef's for multiple python versions, reducing the
number of builds needed at release time so I think its worth it.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Mathias
Panzenböck<grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net> wrote:
> Python >= 2.6 supports the buffer API, so if it's just that 3.x is not needed.
> But it's true, sooner or later a switch to 3.x should be made. And what's better
> to make such a big change than a version that changes (breaks?) a lot anyway?
>
>        -panzi

- Campbell