[Bf-committers] looking for advice

Brecht Van Lommel brecht at blender.org
Fri Jul 3 16:02:39 CEST 2009

Hi Charles,

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 09:27 -0400, Charles Wardlaw wrote:
> The only reason at the moment we haven't fully pushed Blender into testing
> is because of issues with undo on animated object and on linked characters.
> I submitted a bug report on the issue (#18433) and Ton said that while
> people are aware of the issues, there aren't enough coders to tackle them.
> The short of the problems: undo recalculates from keys, so if you don't use
> autokey it often undoes well past the last change.

This doesn't solve the particular issue, but why don't we enable autokey
by default for values that already have curves? Why would you want move
a bone that has a keyframe, and not have it replace/insert a keyframe
when you move it? Now that we have undo and autokey features, this seems
the most logical behavior.

> The other side of it is
> that linked characters that have been scaled will often explode when you
> reload the file.  I can demonstrate this with the BBB bird rig if anyone's
> interested.

I guess this happens when you move a proxy object, but don't add an
action? Perhaps this is a matter of doing that, if you change a proxy
object, automatically add an action. This is just a guess though.. But
just like the above, I don't see the point of allowing you to edit
something conditionally which you can then restore from some cache. This
seems to me exactly why we have undo.

Brecht.